Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Fostering Independence Through Play on Independence Day!

Ah, the slower pace of summer... Spontaneous evening tricycle rides or trips to the pool. Family BBQs in the front yard. Impromptu field trips to the local produce shop. Long mornings at the park or playground... These are truly the things that summer is made of. I confess to forgetting all about our garden and now the only thing growing is the one thing we didn't plant this year--last year's tomatoes that came back! But it's summer. No worries here. Plenty of tomatoes to come, but no worries here! Today is July 4th and I had nothing specific planned; that's my new favorite kind of day! I do have some Story Stretcher activities planned for later this week, but today seemed like a great day to soak up some of the sunny, spontaneous, slower pace of summertime. My greatest intention with our home play activities has always been to foster age appropriate independence in my children. What better way to celebrate Independence Day than with some great independent play? 
While independent play sometimes refers to children playing on their own, I also use it to refer to play and activities that are child-directed. We grown-ups can join in on the child's terms; we allow them to take the steering wheel for a bit and are there, foremost to engage in play together. We still ensure safety, we may offer ideas or suggestions if a child requests help. We can do this through dramatic play, through process art and even through sensory play, like we did with this red, white and blue sensory bin:


S helped gather a collection of red, white and blue materials to add to our bin. This bin is a great one for folks looking for non-food fillers. You can do something similar with any color theme. We chose ours to celebrate July 4th. We scoured our scrap paper bin for tissue paper, construction paper, card stock, white coffee filters, craft foam--anything we could find in red, white and blue. You could include anything that you have on hand in these colors--even bubble wrap/packing materials, cotton balls/pom poms, ribbon, yarn, decorative grass, paper shreds, beads... We chose materials S could cut and tear.


 I really allowed him to take the reigns. I began by cutting tissue paper into the bin and when S seemed interested, I offered him the suggestion to get his own scissors and join me. I didn't direct him on how to cut or worry about size/shape. Scissor practice is great for fine motor development. Even the act of searching our scrap collection helps in color identification. But the most important part of this activity was the aspect of play, not the associated learning! S took to his kitchen set in search of things he wanted to add as tools and props. He gravitated toward items we've used in sensory bins in the past and some of his favorite kitchen toys. He loves making pretend smoothies in this plastic pitcher, so he got busy right away filling it with red, white and blue paper for a special July 4th smoothie! I didn't stop him when he brought it to his kitchen set, either. I did let him know that when we were done playing, we would have to bring the paper back to the bin, but that it was OK to use it in his kitchen set. Was I initially tempted to disallow it and remind him that what's in the bin stays in the bin as I usually do? Yes, but I resisted the urge to see where this would take his play and I am so glad I did. 
He felt our bin needed more filler, so we gathered some more materials from our scrap collection. He loved cutting and tearing paper and asked me to join him in cutting and tearing paper as well. He brought over a pot and an ice cream scoop from his kitchen and began making "red stone soup!" I did not worry about huge chunks of paper in the bin or odd shapes. I pointed out observations--like how the long strips of paper reminded me of stripes on the flag. S then asked for some stars and I helped cut some of those from our paper scraps as well.
I could have prepared this activity in advance and pre-cut the filler. I could have set out theme related materials and tools, like the flag I set in the side of our bin. I could totally see some star shaped cookie cutters and maybe some tongs and bowls/containers to fill...but this was S's vision and it was nice to allow him to take the wheel for once!
Not this wheel!



I am sure he will be eager to return to this activity after his naptime. I've replaced the bin into its stand that lives in our kitchen right now. He will surely enjoy playing while his Tatty and I prepare our July 4th BBQ dinner. He might help me squeeze some lemons for lemonade or wash the berries we bought this morning at our local produce shop (in preparation for an upcoming story stretcher...) Perhaps we will use some of this filler for a process art collage or perhaps we will play out front and his Tatty will show off the firecrackers he bought [gulp]. Today is Independence Day and as an American, I do have a great deal to celebrate. Most of all today and every day, I celebrate the privilege I have to join in my sons' world as they grow, learn, and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment