Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Music-making with Young Children (and Grown-ups, too!)

Last year on the day of S's 4th birthday, I took him to the dollar store to pick out anything he wanted. What could possibly go wrong for $1? I'll tell you what can go wrong for a dollar...


Yup, that's his "flute," and it was "just like" the one a favorite teacher of his played. Oh. Dear.

So fast forward to a couple of [very loud] days later, and S had taken his favorite flute to bed with him. Well, I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I kind of sort of accidentally [I think] stepped on it while it was on the floor next to his bed and, um, it broke...

Clearly nothing a little tape couldn't fix...
The Mommy-guilt set in and we headed back to the dollar store for flute #2...
...and eventually upgraded to a "real" recorder after that. Although this one lives upon a high bookshelf for proper protection from my accident prone feet in between jam sessions.

It's true, my boys love music. Their parents are also recovering musicians. My husband played guitar for years and was even in a heavy metal band at one point (no, I can't actually imagine this, either). I was between the ages Y and S are now when I started to play songs I heard by ear on toy pianos, xylophones and anything else I could get my fingers on. This culminated in 15 years of classical piano training, over a hundred original compositions and some years of saxophone lessons and band geekery in there as well. 

The benefits of musical exposure and training in young children is proven and documented in respected long-term studies again and again. However, even beyond that, making music for young children is a very natural creative process. And this can continue well into adulthood! Both of my boys have gone through what I refer to as the Everything-is-a-Drum Phase.
...even an actual drum...

....or simply a set of metal spoons and pans outside!

S's drumming phase was closely followed by his Everything is a Flute Phase, and Y requests to play the guitar (a ukulele) every day when he wakes up in the morning and again after his naps. Every so often S will ask to have a music party at night, which means we get out the whole basket of instruments (even the ones strategically hidden on the top shelf or in the back of the kids' closet) and jam!

Every Jam Band needs a conductor...
I wouldn't say it's quite Carnegie Hall worthy...yet, but these hootenannies are such great fun for us all! And I'm not sure if either of the boys will pursue music through formal study, but I do know that allowing for exposure to instruments in our home and encouraging their natural interest and creativity, we are planting some pretty important seeds regardless of what fruits they come to bear.

So when other parents ask me what are the most important toys and playthings for babies and young children, I always include musical instruments on that list. My husband's musical pursuits likely stemmed in part from his very musically talented mother. My own parents were not particularly musical themselves. The one thing both of us had in common was exposure to musical instruments and encouragement. And not just toy instruments, but real ones as well. My home (and my husband's) had real instruments we could touch. We both grew up near music studios or schools that allowed and encouraged children to touch and use real instruments--even very old or delicate ones. And so I stock our own collection of instruments with a collection of musical toys (maracas, bells, tambourines, xylophones, etc.), homemade ones (shakers and percussion instruments) and "real" ones, too. 

I have found beautiful drums and percussion instruments (as well as toy sets) at secondhand shops and thrift stores. These are great places to look (along with garage sales) for instruments that are still in their prime but looking for a set of hands or lips to help them make their melodies. Building your band need not break the bank and never forget the inherent value in a set of pots and pans and a wooden spoon. If (like me) you are averse to very loud sounds, you can be selective about when instruments come out for play. And you can also take this pro-tip from a 4 year old boy I know and love: if it's too loud, just play louder yourself! Yes, I encourage you (the grown-ups) to join in the jam sessions, too. It's a great way to lift everyone's spirits on a dreary winter's eve or just to have some casual and creative family fun. 

The outdoors is a great space to take your musical play times (though this can get trickier when you live in close quarters with neighbors). If your space permits, a consider building a sound wall. (There are many great ideas for construction on Pinterest). You'll need a collection of pots, pans and recyclables either thrifted or rescued from the recycling bin/trash/donation heap and some carefully selected sticks or wooden spoons for mallets. If you don't have the space for a permanent wall, a basket stocked with these types of materials is perfect (and they can double for use in your Mud Kitchen).
In general, when building up an instrument collection, don't forget to inquire with friends, family and neighbors. Somebody, somewhere, has an instrument (or two or ten) collecting dust in the attic and awaiting a new loving home!

And to extend the fun, I highly recommend family field trips to music shops (especially kid friendly ones where children are encouraged and allowed to test out or see how instruments work) and attending musical performances in your community when possible. 

Wishing you all a home filled with melodious magic and, as always...

Happy Playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment