Friday, January 4, 2019

Birds of a Feather Flock Together, No Matter the Weather!

I must admit that I miss my garden. For all the work and toil and struggle, I find myself drooling a bit over seed catalogs and dreaming of spring even in the midst of a very mild (so far) winter. So when I posted this sentiment on a gardening group, I got a lot of suggestions to take up bird watching this season. We [I] really took our time winterizing our garden, so I like to think I did the birds a bit of a favor in leaving them some plants and seeds to enjoy as the seasons shifted here. After we did revamp the play garden, we included a new bird feeder, some bird seed treats, and made sure to clean out and refill our bird bath (a shallow pie tin layered with colorful stones and mosaic tiles and filled with water). Our front garden became a hub for feathered friends (who are now eating us out of house and home) and our dining room windows gave us front row seats to the extravaganza!

I know, I know, I said no toys at the table. But technically a bird-watching basket is not a toy, right? I decided to bend my own rules and stock a basket with some tools and inspiration for bird-watching through our dining room windows. The boys (and adults) do know that we need to finish eating and wipe our hands before bird-watching, but having our basket stocked and ready makes it the perfect table top accessory this time of year--and also easy to transport outside when we want to take the show on the road.

I included a set of binoculars, a couple of prism viewers, some local bird photo cards, a few interesting feathers we found and collected, a magnifying glass and a selection of bird books and guides. Many of these books were purchased secondhand at thrift stores or the library at our botanical garden center. You could also include a small sketch book and some colored pencils if you wish.

Meanwhile, in the sensory table... I poured a layer of birdseed, added in some scoops, cups, funnels, nests and plastic birds The boys have had so much fun scooping, pouring, sifting and playing! And I no longer have to bend down under that table to refill the birdfeeder [every other day!] as an added bonus...

Our visiting feathered friends remind me that life exists beyond spring and summer. Winter is a season, too! And not just a season for waiting. It is a season fro watching. For feasting and flying and gathering with family and friends. Bird-watching is a wonderful family activity to take up any time of year and all year long. You can also enliven your indoor world by including fresh cut flowers, houseplants and/or forcing bulbs on your kitchen or dining room table. Birds of a feather flock together, no matter the weather!
Happy Playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment