Monday, February 3, 2020

"Please See Me:" A Heartfelt Letter From Your "Favorite" Student


Dear Teacher,

Please see me.
See that I am here to learn, not because I already know.
See that I am not my behaviors or my labels or my struggles
And that any and all of these are just me trying to tell you something important that I may not have the words for yet

See that it is not that I don't know how to do this or even that I can't
But that maybe I was just given the wrong tools for the job
(Show me one person who could change a tire with a disposable spoon and I have a sandbox to sell you in Florida...)

See that I am not what I did last year
Or even what I did last Tuesday
See that I am not my sibling or my friend or that kid in your class six years ago that I remind you of
See that I am not the sum of many parts with some still missing,
I am whole, I am complete, even if I am just three feet tall
See that I am worthy of second chances
Third chances
Seven hundred and ninety-fourth chances
See that I wish I could just erase all of my mistakes
But that an eraser that size would never fit inside my pencil case

See that my parents aren't clueless (although if you are a parent, you know they all are)
It's not that they don't see this, it's that they do. Magnified at 400 percent.
See that although I also drive them crazy (and trust me, it's a short trip)
That they would go to the ends of the Earth for me
So please just go to the end of the school year
Or even just to the end of the day

See that I am not the thrown toy or the meltdown or the disruption to your class
See that when the tantrum happened, that I didn't choose it, in fact it's the last thing in the world I would choose
It doesn't feel any better to me than it does for you
See that I just want to do the Right Thing and be the Big Kid
But right now I am still small
And this little body was not designed for sitting still and being quiet, for being seen but not heard

See that I walk in here every day holding a clean slate for you
And do the same for me
Because you are already The Teacher
You are already Who You Are
And I am still Becoming
In all my wiggles and giggles and mischief and strife
I am still Becoming
And I want to be so many things
Sometimes all at the same time
Sometimes I even want to be you
So please see me
Not as what I did
Or who I was
But as what I am
And who I will Become.

Love,
Your "Favorite" Student

No comments:

Post a Comment