Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Around the World: Bonjour from France!

 Confession: I think I'm having as much fun in our homeschool preschool as my toddler with this theme! Our next stop in Europe took us to France where we greeted our new experience with a cheerful "Bonjour!" We revisited familiar routines and activities as with our previous destinations, including another flag match (pictured left). I also wanted to continue on with the theme of building and structures in Europe as well as some of the children's literature we've been enjoying along the way.

We read Ludwig Bemelmans' Madeline and afterward went through the book pointing out a variety of famous French architectural sites that are beautifully depicted in the illustrations. Next it was time for my travel companion to try his hand at some crafty architecture as he recreated a version of the Eiffel Tower using cut up straws glued onto card-stock. (I outlined the shape of the Eiffel Tower in advance, although you could also provide a stencil for children to trace.)



Even in a "craft" like this, I love letting my son take as much lead in the process as possible. 

I loved his different methods for using the glue and straws and placing them on the template!

Voila!
I was most excited for our visit to France because I had big plans for soaking up a bit of the art scene! We checked some great children's art books out from the library as reference. Three of our favorites were:


The Usborne Art Treasury: Pictures, Paintings and Projects by Rosie Dickins

Are You an Art Sleuth? Look, Discover, Learn! by Brooke DiGiovanni Evans

and...
Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina Bjork and Lena Anderson

Experimenting with dot markers

As part of our evening activity, I covered our dining room table in white craft paper. I stationed all three books on display, with pages open to particular paintings by artist Claude Monet. I set out several stations of art materials including oil and chalk pastels, dot markers, creamy crayons, and tissue paper and glue. Some materials (like the dot markers and creamy crayons) are ones my son is more accustomed to using. Some (like the chalk and oil pastels) are more novel to him. While the main point of children's process art is to leave the process and experience entirely up to the child, I also like to incorporate open ended family art (or group art in my classroom environments). I refer to this as Art Together.
Exploring oil and chalk pastels

Art Together invites everyone to the table (or easel or wherever else)--sometimes all at the same time, sometimes in small groups and sometimes one at a time. I explain to everyone that this is group art that anyone can add to. When I am teaching, I also include that it will not go home with one person but rather it will remain in the classroom or be used for a purpose in the future (like collage or a bulletin board, etc.). It is a very unique experience. For some, it is an experience in letting go. Allowing someone else to express their ideas on a space where you have expressed your own ideas already is challenging--especially if your vision and/or creation is altered in the process! It is also an experience in teamwork. Ideas are shared, conversations are started and children learn a great deal about how to talk to each other in ways that are positive and helpful rather than critical or hurtful. Each child and artist (adults, too) has different strengths and weaknesses. Some are very confident to try new things; some are more hesitant. Some children who may never independently seek an art activity during a free time or center time will be drawn to group art invitations because their peers are there or because they want a part in something the group is working on together. Whereas art together could be a scenario that evokes conflicting opinions and social challenges, it becomes a space where these are resolved, worked through and where relationships are built.

Tissue paper "Water Lilies" collage


In the home setting, family art together is a beautiful way to connect without the "pressure" of trying to connect! Spending "quality time" together can feel forced or awkward for some. Process art during these times sometimes relieves or distracts from that "awkwardness" and opens up both creativity in each family member and the communication lines. Many children (and adults alike) are more comfortable to talk and open up while busy with another activity. Art is a great one (although not everyone is naturally drawn to such activities); walking together, cooking, baking, or playing board games together are other ways to create that environment. 

Listening to Mommy talk about Claude Monet and Impressionism!


My husband happened to be teaching this evening, so this art together activity was just one shared by my son and myself. To maintain that "process art" ideal, I did not verbally instruct on what to do or even talk a lot about what I was doing at first. I did talk a lot as we worked about Monet and the things he liked to paint about: people, flowers, nature and gardens, bridges. I talked about Impressionism on a level a toddler could grasp: Monet painted things the way they made him feel rather than exactly as they are. A photograph shows things exactly as they are. Many times when we do artwork, we show things the way they make us feel. Sometimes I would make observational statements about what my son was doing: "I see you're using the dot markers here to make dots and over here to make lines and strokes!" I would do the same about my own process: "I'm using my finger to smudge the chalk pastels together and mix the colors." I resisted statements of praise or judgment, including "It looks like you're making a flower" or even "I like the way you used...." Art together for me is more about the quality of our time than the quality of our artwork! We had so much fun and my son is super proud that the tabletop mural we created was now our Shabbat tablecloth for all to appreciate, including his Tatty and his visiting grandparents! We just placed a clear plastic table cover over top and we're good to go!



Wishing all happy playing and creating and meaningful time together!

The Artist busy at work!



No comments:

Post a Comment