Thursday, July 28, 2016

Think Outside the Box Thursday: (Very) Early Literacy through Alphabet Activities

At two years old, I don't feel strongly that my son must learn his alphabet by rote or be gaining letter recognition and beginning sound awareness. This is something in my teaching that I observed and screened at around age 4-5, but at the end of the day, early literacy development happens in different ways and at different paces for different learners. What I do feel strongly about is exposure to language and literacy in a playful and pleasant way that inspires curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of learning. In the early childhood years, this happens through conversation, through picture books and library visits, through story times at home and at playgroups and most importantly, through play. I do promote exposure to letters early on through play by introducing letters in a variety of ways that can be appreciated visually, audibly, and hands-on. 

Every couple of weeks or so, I introduce my son to a new letter using a "letter sound box" I fill with toys and objects from around the house that begin with that letter sound. I especially love using felt or textured letter stickers on card stock that he can touch/trace with his finger. Tactile appreciation of a letter is a vital early writing skill (albeit quite early!).

I use flashcards playfully with pictures my son will recognize to foster language development, picture recognition and the beginnings of letter sound awareness. Most of my flashcards are homemade or purchased at the Dollar Tree. I use a hole punch and metal ring to organize them.

Here's an example of toys and objects added to our Letter T Sound Box. I always use the same pencil box with a dry erase label that I can re-write letters on as we bring out new ones. I keep it at child level on my son's toy shelf and he can open/close it independently and play with the objects as he pleases. 

Truck Tire Tracks across the letter T made for a fun art extension. After it dried, I laminated the finished work and used it as a playdough mat for more tactile/pre-writing exploration.

Letter magnets are something we somehow have a huge collection of. Those can be used with a magnetic easel, cookie sheet, refrigerator or other magnetic surface as well as in sensory bin with dry materials like sand or beans for tactile exploration of letters. Older children can use magnet letters in a variety of ways as they learn to recognize letter names and sounds, site words and their own names.

Playdough "tracing" with laminated letter artwork. I introduce it with minimal tools and frequently my son requests more or adds his own. He went over to the plastic bin of playdough tools this time and added a rolling pin, cookie cutters and a plastic knife...

...and then he went to his toy shelf and grabbed a toy truck to drive through the playdough--I LOVED his ingenuity!

My son likely doesn't know his letters and alphabet at just two years old and I'm not in a rush. He is building a ton of language through play and exposure and what he does have is a love of learning in his own way and at his own pace. Happy playing!

2 comments: